Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day ... Contentment and Chocolate


Y'all, I wrote this poem on "contentment" several years back. I thought it might bring you a good chuckle on this Valentine's Day. We all face hardships of all kinds ... some easy/ some so hard we aren't sure we can press on. In the midst, we often find it hard to be content, and we grumble and complain. Who doesn't want life on easy-street?! But when we seek God with all our heart, through the hardship, we discover that the hardship brings us closer to Him and allows us to know Him in a way we would have never known Him on easy-street.

Being silly, as usual, I broke the word “con-tent-ment” down to define what “discontent” means:
Con - feeling like a prisoner

Tent - stuck in a tent (prison)

Ment (mint) - wishing one was in a hotel room with a pillow and a mint!

God, I don’t like this tent I’m in
Cause it’s cold outside and I’m shiverin’.
You know I don’t want to be known as a complainer.
But I’d rather be in a hotel room for the remainder.
Cause there’s so much left of the night to go.
I’m freezin’, Lord, cause it’s eight below!
The dust on this old air mattress is making me cough
And I roll on the floor when my husband gets off!
My toes are cold, and my poor ol’ back aches
And I think my husband forgot the tent stakes.
The tent has even fallen down a time or two.
Now, honey, I’m not pointin’ the finger at you.
And I know I look silly in hair rollers of blue.
The curl probably won’t stay anyway cause of the dew.
And I’m afraid of having to go to the potty at night
Cause there are too many critters in Texas that bite!
And the fire has died down …
Oh … what was that sound?!
I feel stuck like a prisoner cause the lightnin’ has changed its direction.
And every time I try to use the cell phone, I lose my connection.
I just don’t know that tent camping is for me.
I’d even be happy with a slightly used RV.
Oh Lord, I’m trying so hard to be content.
But, I’d rather be in a warm hotel room with a pillow and a mint!
Okay, how silly can this poem get?! (pronounced "git" ... Texas slang)
- By Shelli Littleton (copyright)

Y'all, when we begin to see God work through our hardships, being in the tent (our hardship) suddenly won’t be so bad; we’ll trade the hotel room and the chocolate mint because we won’t want to miss out on what God has in store for us.

Psalm 61:14 says, “I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.” Then we will be satisfied and content. Psalm 145:16 says about the LORD: “You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing.”

Dwell with God in your tent … His tent … and He will provide a shelter for you that cannot be shaken, and you will be content. In fact, your idea of what brings contentment may even change. Suddenly, we realize: God is all we need. That realization is sheer deliverance.
“The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.”
Psalm 34:7

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you write poems, too! God has gifted you greatly. Hard times are indeed where we grow and learn to rely and trust in the Lord. Many people like mountaintop living. Personally, I like the valleys because that's where His living water flows and His lush greenery nourish our souls when nothing else can. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister! It's true ... the worst times in my life have brought my best times in my life. So how on earth can you trade them?! You are a dear friend. You have been such an encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete

Blessed by you, Shelli