Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Name


Because sometimes a name has to be remembered ~
It deserves remembering.
It is good.

My grandfather and grandmother are with Jesus.
Oh, how I miss them.
You know.
Few escape loss.

My grandfather was my grandmother's second husband
So none of the children have that same name.
That name rarely crosses my path ...
No more birthday or Christmas cards.
No more phone calls with that name on caller ID.
So he was not my "biological" grandfather,
But
He was mine.
I was his.

His username: Pa-Paw
His famous words: Boy Howdy!

I have found a precious relative of my grandfather's ...
She is my Facebook friend now.
Seeing that name on my screen
Is beauty
That precious last name is before me
And it is a remembrance of everything good.

I clasp my face in my hands
And I cry out to God,
"I  miss them."
The tears flow uncontrollably for a bit.
I haven't truly let myself "feel" the loss.

That name.
That precious person.
What about my name?
What will it remind people of?
Will it be beautiful?
Will it be mindful of joy?

"A good name is more desirable than great riches;
to be esteemed is better than silver or gold."
Proverbs 22:1
My Ma-Maw and Pa-Paw.

My Pa-Paw and his cows in his pasture. He took great joy in them.

My Pa-Paw by his garden and the watermelon he grew.

My Pa-Paw and me 1996. I am lassoed in his arms. And his whiskers were wonderful.

Sitting at my Pa-Paw's feet never tired. And oh, he could sing. And he could "name that tune"!

And he loved.

He loved double-time.

And he led. This is my husband, my Pa-Paw's shadow.

I praise God for His name ...
for the sweet name of Jesus
"that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father."
Philippians 2:10-11

~Hallowed be your name
~Come together in my name
~Whatever you ask in my name
~On the name of the Lord Jesus Christ will be saved
~There is no other name
~The name that is above every name
~Do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus
~And His name is the Word of God

What's in a name? Boy howdy! Glory!





2 comments:

Blessed by you, Shelli