Wednesday, January 4, 2017

A 16-Year-Old's Guide For A Happy New Year


"Do you want to walk the trail with me?" I asked my dear friend.

"Yes!"




I wanted to hold her hand and skip down the lane. Could my heart contain the happiness inside? Or would it burst from joy? I hadn't seen my dear friend in over 20 years. We'd moved to Spokane, Washington, in my mid 20s with the air force. We bought a home in the country and immediately formed a tight bond with a farming community. My friend, a farmer's wife, welcomed me into her home, church, heart. We loved each other like sisters from the start and only had a short time together before we returned to Texas. 

She and her family came to Texas to vacation last week (I want to think I influenced her a bit), and they spent New Year's Eve with us.



We headed to the back property, released the sheep, and made our way around the trail. I couldn't take the smile off my face, the definition of happy.

"Is that a mailbox?" my friend asked. "What's that doing out here?"




It's an acceptable question that I find myself explaining to everyone. We didn't want to leave it behind, so we brought it with us when we moved. It was a truck, but it began to deteriorate over time, so we took off parts here and there, keeping the bare necessity. Now, it looks like a set of bulging yellow eyes staring at you. It's planted right across from the swing. 




"We write letters to each other ... or at least, we used to. Like love notes. Now, it mostly holds used popsicle sticks, spider webs."

The red flag stood tall. My husband pulled the handle down, revealing mail. Mail? Mail!

Three letters. One was addressed to: Mom (that's me)





I opened it ... from my Katelyn. 

I teared up a tiny bit. I read it out loud to my friend, unable to share it fast enough. It was just one of those proud mama moments ... raw, tender ... for someone else to see the love your child really does have for you as a parent. Three paragraphs, three points, that pave the way for my 2017. And I'll be glad to loan them to you, too. 

1. Apologize

To Mom:

I love you, Mom. Sorry for acting horrible when you guys want to watch something. I don't know what's got me agitated recently ...

2. Encourage

Mom, you need to keep writing. You are great at that (and everything else. You are the best mother someone could ask for). I love all the books you write.

3. Love

You are the best thing anyone could ask for. Keep doing what you're doing. I love you so, so much.

--Katelyn

That's my Katelyn. She doesn't like watching TV much, she reads everything I write, and when she loves, she really loves. 

I gave her a big hug when I got inside. "Katelyn, I loved my letter. When did you write it?"

"Six weeks ago." She chuckled. "I thought you'd never find it."

It took me six weeks to discover her love, her voice, her heart ... 

That's not acceptable. But what beautiful timing. God-timing. 

Father, take me down your path ... the path ... for me ... for this 2017. Let me apologize more, encourage more, and love more. Keep my eyes open. Don't let me miss opportunities. Don't let me deteriorate. Father ... 

I want to go where you go.


Karalee (kid lover), me (Word lover), and Katelyn (animal lover) from earlier in the year


And y'all, life has been so crazy that I wasn't sure I'd get a blog post written. I'd cherish your continued prayers for a close family member. And ... Katelyn gave me her permission to use the letter. *Grin*

What other ingredients can you add for a happy new year?


10 comments:

  1. Shelli..........
    There's just so much here! First, Katelyn was willing to wait 6 weeks (probably forever!) for you to find it. She didn't get impatient. Didn't drag you by the hand. Didn't hint. She just waited 'til God's timing.

    Ohhhh, what faith. What a precious daughter.

    I hope you frame her letter.

    And what a boost this must be to HER faith--to know that in God's timing, He answered her prayers. And maybe just at the moment you needed to receive the encouragement, it came.

    And her tender heart. She apologized...sounds like for such a small thing. Probably something you'd even forgotten, but she wanted a clean heart, so she did it.

    This is just beautiful. Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, you pointed out so many things that I had not even considered myself. Like you said ... so much. I'm going to share all this with her because it will boost her faith. She has such a tender, sweet heart. Thank you for that armful of precious wealth ... xoxo

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post, Shelli. And it shows what a GOOD mother you are!

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/01/your-dying-spouse-254-caregiver-envy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Andrew. I hope you had a wonderful New Year and Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Shelli, all of this is beautiful: you, your family, and our Lord. Nothing blesses a mother more than the love of her God and her family. Such a sweet story, dear friend. And I agree He has perfect timing. Prayers & hugs ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. Those surprise blessings ... just doesn't get any sweeter. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Congratulations . . . on raising a daughter who exercises EXTREME patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirlee. I'm not sure I can take any credit for it though ... she was just so laid back from the start. Thank goodness.

      Delete
  5. Awww, what a sweet letter from your girl! I love when our kids surprise us that way. Her words to you are a testimony of the example you've lived before her.

    One thing I'd add to a new year's recipe is contentment. Contentment with where God has me now and trust that He's got me. I don't need to strive unnecessarily, I need to trust Him.

    Happy New Year, my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I don't need to strive unnecessarily" ... yes, Jeanne. Be our best us ... who God made us to be ... and trust. We don't need to fit into any other mold except the one God made for us. xoxo

      Delete

Blessed by you, Shelli